BRAVE Stands United in Solidarity with Indigenous Communities: Official Statement of Support
BRAVE stands united in solidarity with Indigenous communities and their decision to request a restructuring of the National Inquiry on Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women, Girls, Trans & Two-Spirit (MMIWGT2S). As a multi-sector, community-based coordinating committee that advocates for improvements in existing systems, we wholeheartedly support Indigenous communities across Turtle Island that are currently advocating to have their culture, traditions, and intersectional lenses represented throughout the MMIWGT2S Inquiry process.
BRAVE will be joining Six Nations in honouring the spirits of the MMIWGT2S on July 31st for an International Day of Ceremony. We would like to encourage other agencies and allies in the surrounding area to show their support.
Ways your organization can show support for Indigenous Nations:
- Organize a moment of silence to honor the lives of each of the victims and their families
- Light a candle in remembrance of the victims and include a brief explanation highlighting the purpose
- Contact your local Indigenous community to ask what your agency can do to best express support and allyship
- Write a letter to show support for the cause or consider using BRAVE’s statement as a template by adding your agency information
- Direct a copy of your statement/letter to The Honourable Carolyn Bennett, Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs by emailing [email protected]